CARP to Compete in the California QSO Party

CARPLogo_transCARP to Compete in the California QSO Party

California QSO Party Club Competition

The Clovis Amateur Radio Pioneers (CARP) will be participating in the California QSO Party (CQP) Club Competition. Members of CARP are encouraged to operate during CQP and submit your logs with the club. Members can operate from any station with their own call, and are eligible for awards in the single or multi operator categories. To compete with the club in the Club Competition simply submit your logs with the Club: Clovis Amateur Radio Pioneers.
In addition to the CARP members individual efforts, a team will be conducting a California County Expedition (CCE) to Granite Creek in Madera County during the California QSO Party (CQP).

If you plan on operating in the CQP, but not the expedition, consider joining us for the Club Competition portion. Simply work the contest as you would normally do but submit your log for the contest adding a line for Club: Clovis Amateur Radio Pioneers to it. This way you will be eligible for your individual single and multi op awards, plus you score will count towards the clubs combined total score for competition with the other clubs. Go to to register your station for the event.

K6ARP California County Expedition Details

The California County Expedition will be to Granite Creek, which is located in Madera County at 7,000 foot elevation. In the Sierra National Forest just outside the east boundary of Yosemite National Park, this is a favorite location of the club to camp and operate HF from. Club members are invited to attend the CCE if you wish to join us or even help with the organization please email

We need folks to help supply radios and antennas for the operation. Once we have a better idea of who all is attending we will create an operating plan.

Travel time from Fresno is approximately 3 hours. Driving distance is approximately 90 miles. The road is paved most of the way and even a standard clearance car can make it to the campground (I have seen a Prius up there)

The weather is a constant concern and will be the ultimate deciding factor if we continue the expedition. Current long-term forecast models predict highs around 70 and lows into the 40’s for the area. The forecast may change and we may have to devise an alternate location/plan.

At this time all participants in the CCE are responsible for their own food, gear and transportation.