Provincetown Banner and the Advocate – Massachusetts
This weekÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s look back into the Advocate archives visits 1938 to talk about how amateur radio operators kept communication open after the big hurricane; 1948 when the Provincetown Airport was just about to receive final approval to begin operations; 1958 when a Cherokee Indian came to Sunday School class in Truro and 1967 when the Art Association considered a new addition.
Sept. 29, 1938
Hams Short Wave Storm Messages
Long Point Station Clears Thousands of Emergency Calls
Only through the efforts of Provincetown radio men did news of the true hurricane situation on Cape Cod, MarthaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Vineyard and Nantucket finally reach Boston, stifling wild rumors that the Cape and islands had been virtually torn apart and engulfed by wind and water.
While the storm played havoc with communication all over New England, Naval reserves, amateur operators and N.E. Tel. & Tel. radio technicians in Provincetown forged an ether link which made possible the transmission of messages between Boston emergency headquarters and stricken districts. For 48 hours, these men, and women, too, remained at their sets, battling sleep and relaying hundreds of messages vital to relief work and individual peace of mind.
An idea of the radio amateurÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s value in this latest emergency may be gained from the experiences of Ted Chase, keeper of Long Point Light, and Mrs. Chase. Their plant, amateur station WIKPW, was the only amateur Cape radio-telephone station getting through to the relief center at the State House, Boston.
Sept. 30, 1948
Airport Awaits Final Approval Federal And State Okays Must Precede Use
Final approval of the new Provincetown Airport by sponsoring agencies will be given within a few days, John C. Arsdale, airport manager, announced yesterday. A small amount of work remains to be done by the contractor, M.F. Roach Company, after which the airport will be inspected and final approval given by Crocker Snow, director of the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission.
Mr. Snow flew here Tuesday for inspection of facilities and declared them Ã¢â‚¬Å“satisfactory,Ã¢â‚¬Â although the remaining work, removal of pea stone from the sides of the runway, must be completed before final approval is given.
Mr. Van Arsdale indicated the airport opening will be without official ceremonies, although Ã¢â‚¬Å“these will come a little later.Ã¢â‚¬Â
Sept. 27, 1958
Indian Coming To Truro Church
Rally Day will be Sunday at the Christian Union Church, North Truro, with William Largen, a Cherokee Indian, at the 9:30 Sunday school program and a film Ã¢â‚¬Å“Faith of Our FamiliesÃ¢â‚¬Â at 6:30 p.m. Family Fellowship Hour.
Mr. Largen will wear his tribal headdress while speaking to the children and adults of the Sunday school. He is originally from Oklahoma but is now living in Hadlyme, Connecticut. It was there that the Rev. Robert Pearsall, pastor of the church, met him.
Sept. 28, 1967
New Addition Proposed To Provincetown Art Association
The Provincetown Art Association has revealed plans for a new addition to their property at 460 Commercial Street. The proposed addition, which may be built West of the existing gallery would take the place of the Hawthorne Gallery which has become too small and will be removed. The building would be of semi-fireproof construction with the ground floor to contain a fifty by twenty-six foot gallery to house the AssociationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s permanent collection, an office, storage space for paintings and a heating plant to serve the new and older buildings. The area on Commercial Street would be landscaped for a sculpture court.
Plans show the second floor, of laminated arch construction containing a 24-foot deep stage with stairs leading to the present storage room which could also serve as dressing rooms. The auditorium would have a seating capacity of 270, and have a projection booth. The room also could be used as a gallery for special exhibits.